Sunday 15 September 2013

The Super Natural You


By Ashley Hewitt

So I made a determined decision with God that I would take a wee bit more time to read the Bible and other books. As well, I agreed I would spend more time journaling. A few weeks after making this commitment I was approached to write for this blog.  I found myself in a bit of a panic; I confess I am terrible at this first and foremost, and honestly I didn’t really know what to write about.

I have my own insecurities…I would worry about what people think of me and what would they say after reading this…would they look at me differently? I don’t like the spotlight in anything so writing in a space such as this is something that makes me feel uncomfortable. I still journey these thoughts and feelings, but now a few weeks later, with a lot of grace thankfully, I've calmed down enough to share with you a little of what’s on my heart…about the concept of the Supernatural. So here goes... 

I feel that there is misunderstanding generally among people like it’s a taboo word; that people are not sure whether it’s a good thing or a hindrance. Some folk see it as a mystical power that comes from somewhere else. Some see the supernatural as something that ought not to be discussed as everyone will have some opinion about it.  Some think that those who carry out supernatural things excel at the weird and strange. And others think that the supernatural is only available for a select few because they possess a higher power that no one understands and is not easily explained.

I thought it would be helpful to define the term and separate the two words...you'll see why.

Super - an individual, thing or property that exceeds customary norms or levels, incomparable and matchless, more powerful than others of its kind; derived from Latin meaning above and beyond.

Natural - in conformity with the simple-hearted; the usual course of things without the intervention of the spontaneous. 

I, personally, find that the word supernatural is a bit of an oxymoron. I find it good to separate the two words. For one thing, it's easier to understand. And I think for me, it makes it accessible to use the supernatural in my every day.

For those that don't know me, I am a nurse and I am heavily involved in CCV's kid’s ministry (woohoo!). In this context, it is super natural for me to look after people and to make them better.  It is also super natural for me to look out for others. It’s super natural for me to be around kids. All of these things bring life and joy to my every day. 

What would it look like to allow the Father to come in His supernatural ways and radically change what is super natural for you in your everyday life?

For me it's praying for those individuals with medical conditions, inside and out of the hospital. I'm passionate and really have a bit of 'bee in my bonnet' about it. It's equipping the next generation to transform the community through love and compassion.

For you, how would going to the supermarket look? The kid’s school run? Your workplace? How would these environments change if you invited the Father in? Transformation could seep out from you in a super natural way in your day to day contacts.

My hope is not for you to over think the supernatural power of God. But instead, realise that it can simply look like loving compassion in a desolate situation. That it is wisdom that speaks truth into the uncertainty. It is the courage to stand against injustice. And it is generosity when all seems lost. All these seem supernatural in those moments of darkness but are just super natural because He lives in you so therefore you carry the solution. So you freely received freely give (Matthew 10v8).

What you carry is influential because the Father has created you, and lives in you. Everything in your hand is all you're gonna need as trusted rulers (it's not as hard as we make it out to be) in those moments that present themselves.

 The supernatural is the “having butterflies in you tummy” moment where you have to choose to be available for the Kingdom encounter and allow God to do the rest.

I challenge you to see what it would look like to be the eyes and ears of the Heavenly Father on earth. Be prepared to go on the adventure of a lifetime. 

Lastly I want to share this quote from one of my inspirations

He loves you always, even when you don’t feel worthy. When not accepted by others, even by yourself sometimes, He is the one who always accepts you… Only believe - you are precious to Him. Bring all you are suffering to His feet - only open your heart to be loved by Him as you are. He will do the rest” ~ Mother Teresa



No comments:

Post a Comment