Sunday 18 August 2013

Authentic Identity


By Hannah Lynas


I've been struck again by the challenging and stark reminder of what it is to be authentic in my own skin. What it looks like to be truly me. To know who I am and what I’m created to be. I'm energized and inspired when I'm around truthful, free people, who speak with their own mind.

I was reminded of this at a conference recently where the stage was filled with incredibly dynamic, self-assured individuals. I listened to each of them with a sense of awe at their eloquence, boldness and distinct connectedness to themselves. They exuded Authenticity (a particular way of dealing with the external world, while remaining faithful to internal rather than external ideas.)  And in that moment I wanted to be a little bit like each of them. How ironic, I was drawn to their trueness in themselves and in the same instant wanted to forfeit my own.

I'm trying to learn to be influenced without being comprised.

To be assertive while maintaining integrity.

To enjoy in moderation without becoming extreme. 

To be organized and efficient without becoming inflexible and losing spontaneity. 

To recognize that a healthy body and lifestyle can't be at the expense of an unhealthy mind. 

I've been trying to keep myself in check, to restock and look at the person I am today without forgetting the person I was yesterday and evaluating the person I want to be tomorrow.

As I write this it sounds exhausting and introspective and impossible and too intentional. I'm not advocating this kind of intensity all the time, but it's important to evaluate where each of us are and what environmental factors have been shaping us, what aspect of ourselves are we holding on to and what other things are unfolding and crafting who we are. 

We are constantly evolving beings, life does not stand still. We grow and learn in wisdom and foolishness; we simplify and complicate our understanding of the world, the people in it and ourselves.  We need to embrace change but keep change in check.  Because before long we can drift and alter and wear all the colours of the world around us and become a shadow of whom we really are.

I'm learning that I need to reconnect with the Hannahness inside of me; I need to dust off some the external influences to reveal my true skin. 

I need to be reminded that my opinion matters that my perspective is unique. 

That I am at my best when I am truly me.  

I'm not striving for perfection or balance and I'm not always going to get it right. And I need to learn again the value in simply 'being'. 

But who knows on this quest for authentic identity I may just inspire/release others into 'being like me' and in turn reconnect with their true self!



No comments:

Post a Comment