Monday 21 December 2015

December Thankfulness

By Emily Lynas

I love December.  It’s a month full of excitement and anticipation. It reminds me of the precious things in my life and the faithfulness of Gods word.

A few days ago on an ordinary December evening I was doing laundry. There were three baskets sitting in front of me, and I was feeling a bit tired and fed up from a day of seemingly domestic duties! One basket was full to the brim with dirty tea towels and cloths from our cafe, one with myself and Dave’s clothes and one with the sweetest baby boy’s vests and baby-grows covered in sick and poo (excuse the vulgarity!) I stood looking at them tired and slightly fed up of feeling like I spent most of my time doing laundry these days...

Then He spoke.

...with abundant love and gentle rebuke.

The three baskets represented three beautiful dreams in my life.

The basket full of dirty tea towels and cloths were from a dream realized nearly two years ago now but one that had been stored up as a treasure in our hearts for years and years. Running your own business is hard work and incredibly fulfilling and I quickly saw that the drudgery of washing tea towels every week as an absolute pleasure and honor.

Thank you Lord.

The second basket was a mix of our clothes. It represented my marriage of 11 years! Marriage is an incredible adventure but also difficult at times. I am thankful for the hard times, moments in your marriage when you see what you are both made of, how strong and resilient you are. Anything that’s worth much in this life can be tough. The reward of the mountaintop after a long hike, the respect and love of your children after careful and challenging parenting. I prayed for a husband who would love me and especially make me laugh. We have weathered many a storm with God at the centre of it and come through them to sail beautiful calm seas. God reminded me simply to be thankful that I had Dave’s laundry to do!

Thank you Lord.

The third basket was full of Finn’s clothes, our new baby boy born to us nearly 51/2 months ago. Our little long awaited miracle who has been prayed for and wept over for many years.
Motherhood, some days it doesn’t seem real.
Motherhood, some days it feels tiring and mundane.
Motherhood, most days it feels mystical, joyous and calm.

I love the verse in Luke 2:19 where it talks about Mary’s quiet “treasuring”- her storing-up of moments of love mystery, wonder and tenderness.

            ‘But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart’

Becoming a mother has taught me so much about myself, my capacity to love, my surprising selfishness at times and my utter delight in the smallest parts of my day, a smile, a giggle or a cuddle on the sofa on a stormy afternoon.

Or... doing laundry for my son.

Thank you Lord.

Life is full of ordinary everyday tasks, but always know that your Father will reveal the wonder of His faithfulness through them.


This Tuesday the 22nd of December I get to celebrate my birthday as a mum for the very first time. I imagined this moment many times over the years. I will have a seemingly ordinary tea party in a rather hip cafe, with friends and a wonderful husband and dad to Finn by my side.

Thank you Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment