Sunday 23 June 2013

What’s in your name?


By Jude Burrows


Names are important to me. My birth name is Judith but I have reclaimed it as Jude. My parents chose this name for me. I hated it when I was a child. I wanted to be a Julie or a Karen. But my parents gave us all biblical / Hebrew names. There’s a Stephen, a Rachel, a Beth, a Kirsty (Rebecca), an Andrew and a Michael as well as a ‘me’. What a godly bunch we must be…!

I too have chosen ‘godly’ (or at least meaningful) names for my kids. I have a Naomi (pleasant), a Sophie (wisdom), a Joshua (Jesus Saves) and a Holly (the evergreen a reminder of eternal life, and the berries a picture of the shedding of Jesus’ blood ). I chose these names for my kids as I wanted to speak something over them, some truth about who they were and would be, and about who their true Father is.

Some of these names fit better than others – my Sophie, for example, is a complete ‘head-the-ball’ (nutter) – and yet perhaps there is wisdom to be found in cutting loose and going a little crazy at times…? Time will tell! Naomi is definitely a pleasant child. Joshua may indeed grow up to be a strong rescuer – his daddy keeps on hoping so – but even if he doesn’t, his name is a constant reminder to me that God called me out of a controlling work situation into a place of freedom and fulfilment. And Holly’s name reminds me that God is Always present, and that His blood covers all things, provides for all things, equips us for all things.

And names are important to God – in the Bible he often chose the name for new babies – ‘Call him Jesus’ – not Joseph like propriety would have suggested. ‘Call him John’ – not  Zachariah like his birth father. And with Jacob (meaning Heel), God gave him the new name ‘Israel’, God-Wrestler, Father of a Nation. God gave them new names, drawing a line under all that had gone before, creating a fresh start, freeing them from their human legacy.

Our names are like a banner over us – a label. And some of us have names we hate or names that have little or no real meaning. 

Some names have negative meanings – at university I shared a house with an Italian girl called Mara, which means ‘bitterness’, and I always wondered how this would affect a person, carrying a name with negative connotations.
And yet I know that we don’t have to live under any negative label – you can choose a new name, even if it’s a secret one that only you know. 

Ask God what HE calls you, how HE sees you, the apple of his eye, His precious child, His perfect creation. Because in knowing our real name, we know our identity, we know the hopes and dreams that He as the perfect parent has poured into us.

If you are a parent, you know how you agonised over the ‘any names yet?’ question. You pored over those baby names books, marvelling at the endless possibilities, at the horrors of getting it wrong. And then you heard or read a name that seemed to have potential and you mulled it over and you weighed it up. You checked the initials wouldn’t spell anything dodgy, you shortened it to see how it would sound yelled by future friends across future playgrounds, you went through all the possible rhyming words to make sure they wouldn’t get called anything awful at school… And when you saw your baby for the first time you tried it out, perhaps secretly to check if it was a good fit. And then you told people, out loud. ‘This is no longer baby girl Burrows (insert your own family name here!). This is _________! She has a name, a title, a banner over her which says _________.’

And even if you didn’t do this, God has done this for each and every one of us. HE has carved our names into the palms of his hands. He knows WHO we are, WHAT we carry, and EVERYTHING that we can be because of what He has sown (sewn!- like a label in our school jumper!) into us.

When we were trying to think of a name for our business we came up with lots of options but none were a good fit. We wanted the initials to be redolent of Handbags and Gladrags (H&G), we wanted it to say everything about the purpose behind the shop in a few words (impossible!!!) and we had an idea that it should be two women’s names, kind of kitsch, kind of fun but oh-so-meaningful. And Hope & Gloria was a name bestowed upon us by God – it truly feels like a banner that says all that we can’t.

I have long known that my name was significant, not just because my parents wanted to give me a good legacy and bestow meaning and purpose on my life, but because God has called me, God knows me way better than I know myself. St Jude is the Patron Saint of hopeless and lost causes. I always thought this was kind of sad, but I now know it to be an amazing and wonderful thing. To be an ambassador for the lost! To seek out and find hidden treasure! To find new purpose and meaning for things that others see as nothing, as useless, as trash. What a calling! And how well the Father knows me, that he could call these things out in me way before I understood that names were more about Passion than Fashion.

What does your name mean? And do you need a fresh start? Because the God that gave Abram the new name, Abraham,  ‘Father of many Nations’, can also give you a new name if you need it or can restore the original design in the one bestowed on you at birth. His Banner over you is LOVE. x

No comments:

Post a Comment